Dyson Airwrap styler: new attachments for its sellout beauty technology
An additional four attachments – including small soft and firm smoothing brushes and lengthened barrel in both 40mm and 30mm widths – allow users with varying hair lengths and styles to curl, wave, smooth and dry using the pioneering engineering technology of the Dyson Airwrap styler.
The Dyson Airwrap styler uses jets of air to achieve voluminous curls, natural waves and smooth blow-dry finishes – at home.
The new longer barrels offer great styling options for those with longer hair, defined as hair that extends past chest-length.
When styling longer hair, a larger surface area on the barrel is often required to accommodate the full section in one styling.
Likewise, the new brush attachments are ideal for those wishing to style fringes or smaller sections of hair.
The smaller brush size allows owners to get closer to the scalp to achieve more precise detailing and shaping styling capabilities.
The Dyson Airwrap styler Complete Long is available in Nickel/Fuchsia from Dyson.co.nz and will be available at retailers from June. The new attachments are also fully compatible with the current Dyson Airwrap styler.
At the heart of this story comes a radical idea: harness Dyson’s digital motor to create a phenomenon known as the Coanda effect.
The Coanda effect occurs when a high-speed jet of air flows across a surface and, due to differences in pressure, the air flow attaches itself to the surface.
Taking advantage of this principle Dyson’s team of aerodynamicists created a way to style hair using only air combined with heat.
The result, whether you choose to curl, wave, smooth or rough dry your hair, creates a natural look with a sleek finish, helping prevent extreme heat damage.
“We have been obsessively manipulating airflow for more than 25 years. It is one of our core expertise. Harnessing the power of Dyson’s digital motor we have engineered a truly unique styling tool preventing extreme heat damage when styling. I’m immensely proud of what our engineers have achieved,” James Dyson, Founder & Inventor.
Dyson’s team of engineers and hair scientists go to great lengths to understand hair from root to tip.
After building state-of-the-art hair laboratories, the team spent more than six years testing and researching different hair types and styling habits around the world.
They identified two key desires and challenges when it comes to styling:
1. People desire body, fullness and movement. They want to avoid limp hair with little body.
2. Others desire smoothness without losing volume. They tend to suffer from frizz and too much body which makes styling difficult.
“The Dyson Airwrap styler is changing the hair game.
Clients are telling me they’re able to achieve the styles they want at home with its range of attachments.
It’s perfect for creating a Victoria’s Secret wave, a natural lived-in texture or a sleek blowout.”
Michael Beel, three-time NZ Hairdresser of the year and Dyson styling ambassador in New Zealand.
- Created by an in-house team of experts, the Dyson digital motor V9 powers the Dyson Airwrap styler.
- Partnered with Dyson’s unique styling barrels this motor enables the Dyson Airwrap styler to style with air, without the need for extreme heat.
- The motor spins to create an area of high pressure at the top of the styling barrel.
- A high velocity jet of air disperses out of six air slots around the barrel.
- This generates a physical phenomenon known as the Coanda effect which allows the hair to curl around the barrel to style.
- The machine’s styling brushes are also engineered to take advantage of the Coanda effect.
- To achieve a sleek blow dry finish, the brushes align hair when styling, helping to provide a smooth shiny finish when dry.
- In order to keep the airflow focused in the desired styling direction engineers incorporated a switching mechanism. This directs airflow according to the tension in the brush.
- No matter which way you brush through hair strands, the air flows in the direction of your hair. This helps achieve a stylist-inspired blow dry finish.
- Often, styling hair means blow drying before styling. The Dyson Airwrap styler styles wet to dry.
- Hydrogen bonds line each strand of your hair. When hair is wet, this breaks down the hydrogen bonds – resetting the natural style of your hair priming it for styling.
- After choosing the attachment for the desired look, the combination of powerful airflow and heat control allows you to style without extreme heat with ease – saving time and avoiding tangling.
Intelligent Heat Control:
- Styling your hair should not be synonymous with damaging your hair.
- Like the Dyson Supersonic hair dryer the Dyson Airwrap styler has intelligent heat control.
- A glass bead thermistor measures the temperature up to 40 times a second, transmitting temperature data to the microprocessor and regulating the product’s temperature.
- This helps ensure hair does not become exposed to extreme heat.
The Dyson Airwrap styler comes with different variants with specific attachments, designed with different hair types and desired looks in mind.
- Pre-styling dryer:
- Prepares hair for styling using a fast but diffused airflow. Engineered for all hair types, it’s designed to dry hair to the ideal moisture level (damp to touch) before using the curling barrels.
- Soft smoothing brush: Engineered to add body and volume to limp, flat hair while creating a smooth, blow dry finish. Ball-tipped bristles allow for increased tension to help keep hair aligned to the brush.
- 40mm Airwrap barrel: To create loose curls or waves for thicker, coarser hair that has some shape.
- 30mm Airwrap barrel: To create voluminous curls or waves for most hair types. Achieve voluminous curls for those with limp, finer or straighter hair. Get tighter curls for those with thicker, coarser hair with some shape.
- Firm smoothing brush: To create a straighter style with less frizz. Engineered to tame and smooth unruly, thicker, coarser hair, with firm straight bristles to help create tension and reduce tangling.
- Round volumising brush: To create volume and shape. Ideal for creating tension to shape finer, thinner and straighter hair.